Movie Review – Day of the Mummy (2014)

Day of the Mummy
Directed by Johnny Tabor
Courtesy of Image Entertainment & RLJ Entertainment
Release Date: December 9, 2014

DAYOFTHEMUMMY_DVD_HIC-726x1024

I confess: I didn’t expect to like DAY OF THE MUMMY. When I first got the press release, I was curious. The plot was familiar, however I’m a big fan of ancient Egyptian mythology, so I thought I would give it a shot. But because of the images on the DVD cover and the actors involved with the film, I didn’t have high expectations; I was anticipating a cheap knockoff of the Brendan Frasier MUMMY franchise. I’m happy to report my skepticism was unfounded, and DAY OF THE MUMMY is a fun horror flick that offers both chills and entertainment. Sure, it’s low budget, but that’s part of what makes it so much fun.

If you are not familiar with DAY OF THE MUMMY, here is the plot synopsis courtesy of Image Entertainment:

Welcome to Egypt, land of the Pharaohs. A place steeped in history and legend; Gods and spiritual guides; untold wealth – and the bone-cracking, blood-spilling guardians of its riches. Jack Wells has arrived in Egypt in search of the famous diamond known as The Codex Stone. His journey leads him to the tomb of the cursed King Neferu, cursed not by name but by nature. With his centuries-old slumber disturbed by timeless human greed, the King rises from the dead with a blood-lust that cannot be quenched and a raging fury that will shred flesh from bone, bringing terrible and tormented death to all who dare witness the Day of the Mummy.

I mentioned the DVD cover above, and I have to clarify that it’s not actually horrible…in fact, it looks rather decent. I particularly like the Mummy and how evil it looks. However, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve watched a movie based on its awesome cover, only to be disappointed with how crappy the film itself was. I’m glad that’s not the case here.

DAY OF THE MUMMY is shot rather well, considering the method of camerawork chosen; 90 percent of the film is shot from a first-person view, while the remaining 10 percent is the traditional third-person angle. Interestingly, this really works for the film, and it helps ramp up the intensity for certain scenes.

The acting is pretty good overall. There are a couple of dry performances, but everybody else is good for the most part. I am definitely interested to see Danny Glover in this film; he plays a prick, but he seems well-suited for the role (I don’t mean that in a negative way, either).

The special effects are not too shabby, either…although a couple of aspects could have been better. I like the Mummy design and the realism of its facial features. My complaint about the effects, though, is in regard to the hieroglyphs and stone tablets. They look WAY too new and modern. I also don’t like how the tablets are just leaning up against the cave walls, all nice and proper. This really detracts from the realism of the movie for me.

But that’s about the only complaint I have with DAY OF THE MUMMY. This low budget gem is a winner for me, and I recommend giving it a chance. Just disregard the graphics on the back of the DVD cover…they have NOTHING to do with the film and are meant solely to pique your interest. DAY OF THE MUMMY releases next week, so make a note.

MSB

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *